Two arrested and over 100 homes evacuated as bomb squad called to village

Two people have been arrested after the bomb squad was called to a former pit village. More than 100 homes were evacuated after an army bomb squad was deployed following the discovery of “a number of suspicious items” at a property.

Villagers were left “in shock” after around 130 homes had to be evacuated on Wednesday (May 8) morning. South Yorkshire Police said police executed a warrant on Brierley Road in Grimethorpe, Barnsley. A cordon established by the force has now been eased, allowing some residents to return home, police said.

The new cordon, reduced from 100 meters to 60 metres, is expected to remain in place for 72 hours and Barnsley Council has opened a rest center at St Luke’s Church. The force said a 57-year-old woman was arrested on Wednesday afternoon on suspicion of offenses under the Firearms Act and is currently in police custody.

A 58-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of offenses under the same Act earlier in the day and remains in police custody. Emergency services, the army’s explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team, military ordnance disposal team (MOD) and other partners remain in the area, the force said.

On Wednesday, a large number of emergency services personnel and vehicles were still in the village, focused on a Royal Logistics Corps bomb disposal truck, which had a robotic vehicle positioned next to it. A spokesman for the force previously said: “Approximately 130 homes are being evacuated as emergency services continue their response after a number of suspicious items were found at an address on Brierley Road following a warrant this morning “.

The people said police activity focused on a nearby disused church building and an adjacent house that had been under renovation for several years. Chelsey Woollard, who lives just outside the cordon, said: “Never in Grimethorpe. Even from early childhood.

“It was a beautiful village and this was a shock – not just to me, but to the whole village.” Ms Woollard said she was her father’s carer and panicked as she tried to work out how to get to his home on the other side of the cordon.

She said: “It was a big shock. There were loads of ambulances, fire engines, up and down the road all day.”

She added that the village was full of rumors about what was happening in the house. Another man, watching the police activity, said: “You don’t really get it here.

“They all came in around 7am and it’s been crazy ever since.” A command post was previously set up near the center in the church, about 100m outside the cordon.

Assistant Chief Constable David Hartley said: “Our heartfelt thanks go out to the residents of Grimethorpe for their continued cooperation and patience as we carry out our work. We know this has caused disruption to people’s daily lives, and we appreciate your understanding that public safety must come first.

“We will continue to update you as we have more information to share.”

Related Articles

Back to top button