Vicious killer and rapist who drowned mother dies behind bars weeks after pleading for freedom

A murderer and rapist who drowned his ex-girlfriend in the bathroom after demanding sex has died behind bars weeks after being considered for release.

When Victor Farrant was sentenced at Winchester Crown Court in 1998 for the brutal murder of his ex-girlfriend Glenda Hoskins, 44, and the attempted murder of Ann Fidler, 45, Judge Mr Justice Butterfield said he was so dangerous that he “should never be released.”

But in March, aged 26, Ms Hoskins’ family were contacted by officials saying Farrant, 74, was being considered for compassionate leave because he had terminal cancer and could have only months to live. lived, Mirror reports.

READ MORE: Coroner expresses concern after suspect jumped to his death in front of police

On Saturday May 4, David, Katie and Iain Hoskins – who were just 13, 15 and 21 when their mother was killed – were told her killer had died in HMP Wakefield the previous day.

Liverpool restaurateur Iain, now 47, told the Daily Mirror: “All of Farrant’s life sentence and the judge’s comments that he should die in prison should have been respected.

“However, Farrant’s death, like his imprisonment, changes nothing for us. The circumstances and death of our mother, Glenda Hoskins, will haunt us for the rest of our lives.

“His death, however, brings to a close a very painful chapter for us all. We and the general public should certainly feel safer now that this recidivist psychopath will not strike again.”

The family had previously received devastating news that the terminally ill Farrant was being considered for early release so he could be cared for from prison – and that a decision to release him could be made within weeks.

The furious family launched an urgent appeal to the Government to keep Farrant behind bars until his death.

Victor FarrantVictor Farrant

Iain Hoskins, eldest son of Glenda Hoskins – Credit: PA

They wanted a change in the law to prevent prisoners being released early on compassionate grounds if a judge ruled they should never leave prison.

Horrible crime

It was February 1996 when Portsmouth worker Farrant choked 45-year-old Ms Hoskins, who was his ex-girlfriend, in the bathroom after asking for sex.

He then hid her body, rolled up in a piece of carpet, in the attic before fleeing the scene. In a cruel twist, Mrs Hoskins’ 15-year-old daughter Katie found her accountant mother’s body in the attic after she failed to pick her and David up from school.

After the murder, Farrant fled in Ms Hoskins’ car, stopping to sell her goods en route to the south coast, where he fled to Europe. He became Britain’s most notorious fugitive, with Interpol scouring the continent for Farrant in one of the biggest manhunts ever.

Ms Hoskins’ children believe Farrant should never have been free to kill their mother in the first place.

He was previously jailed for 12 years in 1988 for raping a woman and causing her grievous bodily harm, as well as attacking another woman with a bread knife. But he served only six years of that sentence – freeing him to commit murder.

He met Ms Hoskins while he was released from prison in 1993.

Then, just a month after his early release from prison, on 27 December 1995, Farrant visited former Downing Street secretary-turned-sex worker Ann Fidler before attacking her with bottles and an iron , leaving her with partial brain damage and no memory of the incident. .

DNA evidence left at the scene could have linked Farrant to the brutal attack, and the Hoskins family believe he should have been apprehended before he had the chance to kill their mother.

Instead, the devil resumed his relationship with Mrs Hoskins, who was separated from her husband Tony, and told her he was an airline pilot, according to Iain. When she ended the relationship, the possessive Farrant began stalking her, before killing her in her own home.

Katie said: “Our family have been massively let down by the prison system and the Home Office before.

“Had Farrant not worked the system to be released early and unsupervised before; if the prison system had listened to his parole officer Judith Hartsilver, who could have seen through him and known what he was; if he had been properly monitored and his fingerprints and DNA were on every police database, then our mother would still be alive.”

Farrant was still on the run when police made a direct appeal to Crimewatch UK to give himself up, as 10 women across the UK were under police protection because of him. He was finally arrested in July 1996 after a British tourist recognized him working at a hostel in Nice, France.

But it was not until January 1997 that Farrant was extradited to Britain. A year later he was found guilty at Winchester Crown Court of murdering Mrs Hoskins and the attempted murder of Mrs Fidler.

He was jailed for life for murdering Ms Hoskins and given a further 18 years for the attempted murder of Ms Fidler. The judge, Mr Justice Butterfield, said the killing of Ms Hoskins was “a ruthless, callous and diabolical act”.

He added that her killing was a “planned, premeditated and cold-blooded” murder, with Farrant not prepared to take rejection.

The judge called Farrant an “extremely dangerous man” who had shown no remorse, telling him: “You have devastated many other people’s lives. You should not be allowed to do this again.

“This crime was so terrible and you are so dangerous that in your case a life sentence means just that. You will never be freed.”

“This brings an agonizing two months to an end”

Iain, whose family have written to Justice Secretary Alex Chalk and James Cleverly, Secretary of State for the Home Department, pleading not to release Farrant when his compassionate release is being considered, has thanks last night to MPs Penny Mordaunt, Kim Johnson, Flick Drummond and mr. Credit to their support.

He added: “This ends a painful two months since we were contacted by the Department of Justice about plans being made for his early release.

Iain wrote the letter with his siblings Katie and David HoskinsIain wrote the letter with his siblings Katie and David Hoskins

Iain wrote the letter with his siblings Katie and David Hoskins

“As victims, the lack of information and clarity about the steps in this process was astounding and unhelpful.

“Our feeling is that while we still respect the judicial process, a tremendous amount of pain and mental anguish could have been spared by allowing us better access to the factual elements of his release petition.”

A Prison Service spokesman said: “Victor Farrant died on May 3 at HMP Wakefield. As with all deaths in custody, the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman has been informed.”

Related Articles

Back to top button