The 16-year-old girl died during her stay at the secure mental health hospital in Nottinghamshire

A 16-year-old girl who had a long history of self-harm and suicidal behavior has died while in a secure mental health hospital in Nottinghamshire. Olivia Gray took her own life at Hopewood Hospital, on the border of Sherwood and Woodthorpe, weeks after being sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

An inquest into her death at Nottingham Council House on Tuesday 7 May heard she suffered from a range of mental and physical problems including PTSD, emotional dysregulation, epilepsy, psychosis and type two diabetes. Before her death on May 11, 2021, Olivia had a history of self-harm and suicidal behavior since the age of 14.

Originally from Corby in Northamptonshire, she was admitted as a voluntary patient to Hopewood’s Phoenix Ward on February 5 before being sectioned. This was due to a history of self-harm and suicidal behavior since the age of 14.

Get the latest news straight to your phone, join us on WhatsApp

A consultant psychiatrist at the ward told the jury inquest, attended by Olivia’s parents, that she tried to run away on February 13 and was taken to A&E when she said she had swallowed some button batteries. Dr Nazia said the challenging behavior was not unusual but described Olivia as the “most complex” patient on the ward at the time.

“She was the one who needed the most support and attention,” he said. “For her to have two or three days without incident was good.”

Stuart Hamilton, coroner, concluded the medical cause of death was ligature strangulation.

Olivia was subjected to checks every 10 minutes and refused therapy while on the ward on several occasions, the hearing was told. Dr Nazia described the home visits as helpful for Olivia, but said returning to the ward was “a reminder that she wasn’t feeling well”.

He added that the Covid pandemic caused frustration for both staff and patients at the time. “It was frustrating for everybody because we couldn’t say you can go home for five or six hours and then come back,” he said.

“You had to isolate yourself for 10 days.” The investigation continues.

Related Articles

Back to top button