close
close

Police patrols have been stepped up in Greater Manchester after terror suspects accused of plotting an ISIS-style gun attack on a Jewish community appeared in court

Police patrols have been stepped up in Greater Manchester after two terror suspects appeared in court accused of plotting an Islamic State-inspired gun attack against members of the North West’s Jewish community.

Walid Saadaoui, 36, of Crankwood Road, Abram, Wigan, and Amar Hussein, 50, of no fixed abode, are charged with plotting to carry out an Islamic State-inspired weapon attack. The two men allegedly planned a terrorist attack to cause “multiple deaths using automatic weapons” in north-west England, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard yesterday (May 15).



Greater Manchester Police said detectives do not believe there is a wider risk to the public. In a statement issued this morning (May 15), the force sought to reassure communities, revealing that police patrols had been stepped up in the region.

READ THE FOLLOWING: Jewish community told to ‘carry on as usual’ and ‘remain alert’ as terror suspects face gun plot charges in court

A GMP spokesman said officers will be working with community groups and local stakeholders to address concerns.” A spokesman for the force said: “We have increased our patrols in Greater Manchester following yesterday’s court hearing in London which outlined the details of an alleged terror plot against the Jewish community in our region.

“We know how troubling and upsetting this information will have been for Jews in GM and beyond. Our priority is to ensure that everyone at GM feels safe, regardless of creed, color or nationality.

“Throughout this case we will work with community groups and key local stakeholders to ensure any concerns are addressed. Our officers are there to be approached and spoken to should you have any concerns.

“If you have any suspicions or concerns, speak to our officers or call 101. Call 999 in an emergency.”

The men appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court yesterday(Image: PA Archive)

Prosecutors alleged that Saadaoui and Hussein planned to target law enforcement and the military as part of a “terrorist attack inspired by Isil or Daesh”. Both were accused of preparing terrorist acts between December 13, 2023 and May 9, 2024.

Bilel Saadaoui, 35, of Fairclough Street, Hindley, also appeared in court accused of making arrangements for Walid Saadaoui – who is his brother – after his death. He pleaded not guilty to a charge of failing to report an act of terrorism.

Yesterday, Greater Manchester’s Jewish community was told to “carry on as usual” and “remain alert”. Earlier this year, the CST reported a record number of anti-Semitic incidents across the country, with 555 occurring in Greater Manchester in 2023 alone – a 163% increase on the previous year.

Commenting on allegations of a planned terrorist attack against the community, the charity urged people to report any anti-Semitism and suspicious activity in Jewish locations. Northern Regional Director Amanda Bomsztyk said: “These allegations are very serious about a plan to carry out a terrorist attack against British Jews at a time of record levels of anti-Semitic hate crime.

“This is one of many recent and ongoing cases that demonstrate why the Jewish community needs such extensive security measures and why our continued partnership with the police and government is so vital. CST thanks Greater Manchester Police and other agencies for their work on this case. , and we will continue to work closely with the police to provide assurance and protection to the Jewish community.

“We urge everyone in the community to carry on as normal, remain vigilant and report any anti-Semitism or suspicious activity in Jewish locations to CST and the police.”

All three suspects were remanded in custody ahead of an appearance at the Old Bailey on May 24. The men were arrested last week after GMP executed four warrants in Bolton, Great Lever, Abram and Hindley.

Read more of today’s top stories here

Related Articles

Back to top button