The family of a girl ‘attacked with broken glass’ in a playground is demanding answers from the school

Three people, including a 12-year-old girl in year seven, were injured in an incident at Birley Academy, Sheffield, last Wednesday when a 17-year-old boy appeared at Sheffield Youth Court.

Worried parents wait outside Birley Academy in Sheffield(Sheffield Star / SWNS)

The family of a girl who allegedly attacked a high school last week with a broken bottle is demanding answers.

A 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested on Wednesday morning following reports of an incident involving a “sharp object” at Birley Academy, Sheffield. A 12-year-old girl in year seven is believed to have been hit in the head, while two women, both in their 20s, were also injured when the school went into lockdown.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was arrested and appeared at Sheffield Youth Court on Friday charged with three counts of attempted grievous bodily harm and one count of possessing a sharp or pointed article. During the appearance, the boy spoke only to confirm that he did not have to apply.

District Judge James Gould asked what his plea would be, he replied, “Not a clue.” He was remanded in custody until his next hearing at Sheffield Crown Court on May 31.

Now the girl’s family has demanded answers. A source close to her family told MailOnline: ‘You’d think she’s in the safest place. We want to know how it got to the site. The school has to answer the questions.”

The school was locked down during the incident, with many parents rushing to the gates to try and pick up their children. The youths said they hid under their desks while the incident unfolded.

One parent told BBC Radio Sheffield how their child sent a text saying: ‘Mum, there’s a lockout at school. There was an alarm, really bad, and then the manager told us to go back inside.

“The manager came out and told us to go back inside and now we’re on the floor. I don’t want to be here right now.”

Speaking on Wednesday, the school’s principal, Victoria Hall, told reporters: “I just wanted to thank all of our students and staff who helped manage the situation this morning and our staff who prioritized the safety and well-being of all of our students.”

Deputy Chief Constable Dan Thorpe said at the time: “The three victims of this incident – two adults and a child – suffered minor injuries and were checked at the scene by colleagues from Yorkshire Ambulance Service.

“The two adults both suffered minor injuries – one from a sharp object, believed to be broken glass. The child was assaulted and fortunately has no visible injuries.

He said: “Birley is a close-knit community and although this event ended with a swift arrest, it will no doubt cause continued concern.”

Related Articles

Back to top button