Victor Farrant: Rapist who killed ex-girlfriend dies in prison

image caption, Farrant was serving a life sentence for killing his ex-girlfriend

Victor Farrant, a rapist serving a life sentence for murdering his ex-girlfriend, has died in prison.

The Prison Service said Farrant, 74, died at HMP Wakefield on Friday.

The children of victim Glenda Hoskins said his death capped an “excruciating two months” since they heard he was being considered for early release.

They added that everyone should “feel safer that this recidivist psychopath will not strike again.”

Farrant had been suffering from a long-term health condition before his death and a coroner will now investigate his cause of death.

He was convicted of the murder of Ms Hoskins, 44, his ex-girlfriend and mother of three, and the attempted murder of Ann Fidler, 45, in 1996.

Sentencing him to life, Mr Justice Butterfield, sitting at Winchester Crown Court in 1998, said Farrant was so dangerous he “should never be released”.

image caption, Glenda Hoskins was murdered by Victor Farrant, who drowned her in the bathroom of her Portsmouth home

In a joint statement on Monday, Mrs Hoskins’ children Iain, Katie and David said: ‘Farrant’s life sentence and the judge’s observations that he should die in prison should have been respected.

“However, Farrant’s death, like his imprisonment, changes nothing for us. The circumstances and death of our mother, Glenda Hoskins, will haunt us for the rest of our lives.

“His death, however, brings to a close a very painful chapter for all of us.

“We, and the public at large, should certainly feel safer that this recidivist psychopath will not strike again.”

Earlier this year, Ms Hoskins’ family said they were contacted by officials who said Farrant was being considered for compassionate leave because he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and may have months to live.

A multi-agency public protection (Mappa) meeting in April reviewed the case and the family said it had been passed on to the prison governor to decide whether to make a formal application for his release.

Farrant was jailed in November 1988 for 12 years for rape and other offences, but just weeks after being released on November 7, 1995, he beat Ms Fidler at her home in Eastleigh, Hampshire.

image caption, Victor Farrant was caught on CCTV walking towards a ferry crossing the Channel on the day Ms Hoskins was killed

Six weeks later, he murdered accountant Mrs Hoskins at her luxury waterfront home in Portsmouth by pushing her under water in the bathroom.

She left his body in the attic, where it was found by her 15-year-old daughter Katie.

After killing Ms Hoskins, Farrant went on the run and was eventually found in the south of France.

A Prison Service spokesman said: “Victor Farrant died on May 3 at HMP Wakefield.

“As with all deaths in custody, the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman has been informed.”

Related Articles

Back to top button